Synote Accessibility Document
We would like to make Synote as accessible and as usable as
possible and so would welcome any feedback. Synote has been tested on
IE, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari on the Windows platform and
Firefox and Safari on the MAC. (Firefox appears unable to play Microsoft
multimedia streaming files on the MAC)
Keyboard Shortcuts for Synote are as follows:
- Play: Ctrl + Alt + P
- Rewind: Ctrl + Alt +R
- Forward: Ctrl + Alt + N
- Pause: Ctrl + Alt + Z
- Stop: Ctrl + Alt + S
- Creating a Synmark: Ctrl + Alt +C
- Synmark creating Window (Create Button): Ctrl + Alt + Enter
- Synmark creating Window (Cancel Button): Ctrl + Alt + Q
- Edit a Synmark: Ctrl + Alt + E
- Append Text: Ctrl + Alt + A
- Change Text: Ctrl + Alt + D
- Auto Sync: Ctrl + Alt + T
Some suggestions to help deaf or hearing impaired users:
- Provide a synchronised text transcription.
- Provide additional information in the Synmark about sounds or tone of
voice or emotions that are conveyed by the audio but not the text
- Provide a Sign Language translation either in the video or by using
the Synmarks (i.e. by linking to or embedding sign language videos)
Some suggestions to help blind or visually impaired users:
- Provide text or audio descriptions (i.e. by linking to or embedding a
recording) of any important visual information using Synmarks.
- Synote can be used as a 'talking book' by synchronising a spoken
recording with the text and using the Synmarks to provide a contents
list, section heading and/or index.
- Using the print option is one way to allow blind or visually impaired
users to access all the text information available on Synote.